Sunday, March 31, 2013

Doujin Review: Kyonko to Issho


Doujin Review: Kyonko to Issho



I have never been a fan of the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise. Sure, I’ve heard of it – but more like I had been bombarded with it. Mostly with second-hand accounts from everyone else who had actually watched the series. That was why when given the chance to watch the anime I just said “No”, since I’ve already learned enough to know what’s going on and had grown too desensitized to want to know more.

     That’s why I was surprised when I actually liked this little number.

     This doujin features a gender-flipped version of the cast but mostly it focuses on the two main characters. A male Haruhi (Haruhiko) and a female Kyon (Kyonko) looked more adorable than the original couple, especially when the latter seemed to have the last say in the relationship.
Believe that.
     The sex scenes are decent and sweet enough for a vanilla, but what really sells this story is the back and forth banter of the two leads. Most especially Kyonko, probably the only character I’ve seen in any doujin works that can still snark during foreplay.



    Another good thing about this doujin is that even if you do remove any connection and semblance it has to the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, it can still be a worthwhile read even as an original work. The dialogue is funny on its own and is enough to tell its own story independent of the source material. For fans of the series, the story gives us a good look into the relationship of its gender-flipped leads. By itself, the script shows us a decent slice-of-life portrayal of middle-school club members who are interesting themselves.

     As an added bonus, near the end we’re treated to the sight of a female Itsuki. Still the same personality-wise, it looked like the artist gave this gender-flipped version a bit of Mikuru’s hairstyle and outfit. And speaking of Mikuru, her gender-flipped version never did show up here. Not even mentioned once at all.



     I thought that was all it is to the story when I got to the afterword. Then I saw the last panel.
 Who knew a male Nagato looked so solidly built?


     Cheers to vlad, Nagexe, Altereggo and masamune of Circle Credit and littlewhitebutterflies.net for giving us this. As well as the author Akikan for this stroke of brilliance. I did some liberty on rearranging some of the panels for the sake of presentation. In case anyone minds, I invoke the right to disclaimership.

No comments:

Post a Comment