Tuesday, August 27, 2013

From One-Shot to Series: Koe no Katachi Serialization

OH. MY. GOD.
It's a series...

It has happened. I was expecting something like this would eventually come to pass so it shouldn't be a surprise. Koe no Katachi (The Shape of the Voice), the heart-moving, tear-jerking one-shot manga about a deaf girl and grade school bullying, is finally serialized.

It means that we now have a long drawn-out version of that drama short. I'm now kinda hesitant in reading it now.

I make it a point to never review an anime/manga series unless it is finished, but I'm making this an exception. I've read and made a review about the one-shot last March (see http://fanworksandreviews.blogspot.com/2013/03/one-shot-manga-review-koe-no-katachi.html) and, though it's been months since that time, I still find myself... scared - more like hesitant, actually, but I can't deny also being outright terrified - of following the drama again now that it has a continuity. I'm still willing to go through with it, given that the author won't jump the shark, but only if - ONLY IF - the series is finished or has reached a considerable number of chapters.







Because I don't think my heart can take a cliffhanger chapter in this series...

The one-shot was first published by Kodansha last February where it appeared on Bessatsu Shounen Magazine and Weekly Shounen Magazine, the same publications where the manga is now being serialized. Apparently, it had trouble being released at first most likely due to its content. I'm only hoping the author, Ooima Yoshitoki, would make the story work well in this form in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment